Saturday 3 November 2012

Skye Watches: Elementary Review

Hello all,

So first an apology. Life decided to forgets its place and actually interfere with the other (more important) aspects of my existance. Read as: I got ill, blogger decided to break, I had to go on an amazingly and surprisingly fun Rangers weekend without Wi-Fi and science revision notes needed writing. Also, dance rehearsals and drama rehearsals.

And since the little Applejack in the back of my mind is compelling me to be completely honest, Tumblr happened.

Anyway....

Here is my super-reliable and totally reliable review of Elementary, America's retort to Sherlock. I have to say, I've eaten my words. I was extremley hesitant about the whole John's-A-Joan idea, and the whole American-Remake thing ((Remember their version of IT Crowd? Exactly)) and for pathetic Sherlockian pride reasons I just didn't want to like it. Yet, despite all of that, my mind was changed.

Johnny Lee Miller is flawless, providing a Holmes entirley different from any of his previous guises. This is a Sherlock who rather than enjoying lording his intelligence over his companion, seems to do it completely by accident, which makes him so incredibley endearing you just want to smile. He seems more in touch with things his British counter-part isn't, like emotions, tactfulness and caring in general.

While this takes away the main difference between him and the rest of humanity, it also makes him less harsh, softening the edges a little. It is this that makes him both different and great, because now people can really relate to him on a personal level, and understand him a little more. This is less "Tortured God On Earth" and more, well.... human. And also, just to be shallow, his accent is sublime and his smile would give a Red Panda a complex.

I will admit to not knowing much about Lucy Liu when I started watching. In fact, all I knew was that she was allegedly very pretty, very talented, and that in Futurama she was once downloaded from the internet to keep Fry company. Now, after watching 3 episodes of Elementary, I can confirm the first two. I hate to once again reference Sherlock, but it is a direct role reversal. Instead of Mr. Holmes being the sharp tongued one, it is Watson. Instead of him holding the authority and superiority, it is his companion. Add to this her gender, and you have an entirley new dynamic, in which Joan is very firmly higher up the ladder.

Though I was unsure at first, her quick lines and ability to stand up for herself won me over. However, I am glad they didn't just make her the argumentitive anti-man type, which they could have done quite easily. Instead, she is half way between a sparring partner and a mother figure, showing kindness and compassion for this man which obviously needs putting back together....

Which brings me to my final point. Why does he need fixing? What happened in London that was terrible enough to shatter him so utterly, and send him spiralling downwards? This is the plot point I am so transfixed upon. I love the show for many reasons, but this is the main one at the moment. I grown to care for this Sherlock, and I want to know what has hurt him so. Was there a lady? Was it ((Dare I ask?)) a certain Miss Adler?

All in all, I give this 4 out of 5 Skye Points. The only reason it hasn't got 5 is the deductions, which don't seem as infinitley complex and mind-twisting as they should be, in order for a moment of shocked stillness ((followed by intense "asdfghjkl"ing and headdesking)) to be incurred in the viewer. I found the reasoning to be just a little too simple, and at times during "Child Predator" even correctly made my own deductions.

I don't know, perhaps it is just the old "Sorcerers Stone" effect, and I for one am not going to let it ruin an awesom show. Very strong reccomendation.

Stay Elementary,
Your Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment